XTRA HE Laundry Detergent
Have you seen the HE symbols on various detergent bottles and wondered what it means? HE stands for “high efficiency.”
HE laundry detergent is designed to be used with HE washing machines—both front loaders and top loaders—but it can also be used with traditional agitator washers. Shop XTRA HE detergent to find the perfect blend of great quality and amazing scents, all at a low cost.
Why Go HE?
So why would you want to use an HE washing machine (and in turn, an HE laundry detergent)? One of the best reasons is to conserve energy and water, since HE washing machines use anywhere from 20 to 66 percent less water than traditional washing machines and only 20 to 50 percent of the energy1. This is because traditional machines submerge laundry in water and energy is used to heat that water. With an HE machine, a tumbler system is used, so less water is needed.
All of this means you can save on water and energy costs over time.
HE Laundry Detergent
So why shouldn’t regular ol’ laundry detergent be used with high-efficiency machines? There are several reasons why HE washing machine manufacturers recommend using HE detergent2, including the following facts:
- HE laundry detergent is quick-dispersing and has a low amount of suds. If you use a detergent with too many suds, it can lessen or prevent the tumbling action of the HE machine—which means your clothes don’t get properly washed.
- HE detergent is specially designed to keep soils and dyes in suspension when the water volume is low, stopping them from re-soiling the laundry they came from.
- When regular detergent is used in an HE washing machine, there is not sufficient water to wash away all the suds and soil. This can lead to mold growth and unpleasant lingering odors in the drum.
Shop HE Laundry Detergent
Now that you know when to use HE laundry detergent, you can browse our selection for your favorite XTRA products. Choose from a variety of sizes and scents, including the perfect smells for every season.
- SOURCE: High Efficiency Washers and Detergents (2010). The American Cleaning Institute. Retrieved August 9, 2017 from: https://www.cleaninginstitute.org/sites/default/files/assets/1/Page/HE.pdf
- SOURCE: Laundry Detergent Buying Guide: Champion Stain Fighters (Jan. 2017). Consumer Reports. Retrieved August 9, 2017 from: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/laundry-detergents/buying-guide